No Image Available
Posted on: February 14, 2022 • Category: (none)
Bilingual business advisor
Job Title: Bi-lingual Business Advisor
Schedule: 40+ hours per week
Location: Mount Vernon, and Skagit County at large
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000 DOE + Competitive Benefits Package
The Economic Development Alliance of Skagit County (EDASC), a 501(c) (3) nonprofit entity, implements the economic development program for all of Skagit County: the county, its 4 cities and 4 towns, two ports, and the entire private sector including non-profits and K-16 education. The mission of EDASC is: EDASC carries out business attraction, retention and expansion, and collaborative engagement to achieve a prosperous, sustainable and equitable community while maintaining Skagit County’s natural beauty and quality of life. The purpose of this position is to increase entrepreneurial opportunities and success for small business owners in Skagit County using a lens of equity and inclusion, with a particular focus on those in the Latino community and others who experience barriers to prosperity. This will be achieved by providing culturally aware one-to-one business support, classes and workshops – in Spanish and/or English as appropriate – in areas including financial and computer literacy, access to capital and other resources, strategic and marketing planning, human resources, and also advising on culturally aware and collaborative policy and programmatic work to explore best practices and develop new avenues for success.
EDASC is a fully vaccinated office, so the successful candidate must show documentation of full vaccination (including booster) against Covid-19 before beginning employment.
The ideal candidate will work in close partnership with the CEO and all staff.
This is a full-time, exempt position, and the hours are flexible to meet the programming and organizational needs. This is an in-office position, although working from home on occasion may be permitted and should be possible in case of necessity. Activities may include assignments at sites outside of the primary office or regular business hours. No supervisory responsibilities.
- While working under the supervision of the CEO and collaboratively with other staff members, you will continue to support EDASC’s vision, mission, values, and goals. You will demonstrate clear understanding of EDASC’s operating policies, including maintaining confidentiality regarding work with clients and internal matters.
- The ability to work cooperatively and with high integrity in a transparent manner in an organizational environment that relies on exceptional relationship building, open communication and positivity. You are hardworking, humble, results-oriented, and a collaborative team player.
- Self-motivated with an entrepreneurial spirit, and able to excel at working both independently, as well as in collaborative settings. You are comfortable accepting new challenges and responsibilities, and persevere despite difficulties, with enthusiasm and a positive attitude. You seek out ways in which you can help further EDASC’s mission by supporting colleagues’ efforts through listening and constructive, positive problem-solving.
- Team member who can adapt to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines; prioritize, organize and execute tasks effectively and efficiently; and manage multiple tasks simultaneously while adhering to important deadlines. Can distinguish between important and urgent and/or ask for clarification.
- Competent and comfortable using a wide range of communication tools including but not limited to spreadsheets, documents, newsletters, websites, social media, virtual meeting platforms, CRM Databases, and other new or emerging communication technologies.
- To perform the job successfully, you should represent the attributes of a forward-thinking do-er, and someone who is a creative self-starter as well as an engaging people person. You should have a demonstrated ability to anticipate, be proactive, and take initiative. A continuous learner, you should stay informed on current business, economic and cultural trends, technology and strategies that impact entrepreneurs and our community generally.
- As part of a passionate and accomplished team, your positive attitude, creativity, helpfulness, and keen eye for detail is expected, and cross-cultural awareness and competency is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Business Counseling and Technical Assistance: Provide individualized, culturally aware and appropriate business counseling to entrepreneurs, in Spanish and/or English as needed
- Support entrepreneurs in developing business strategies, planning and execution
- Provide or arrange for technical assistance regarding, e.g., access to capital, human resources, marketing, resource identification, and other areas to promote business success (as measured by increased revenues, profits, and employment).
- Entrepreneurial Support: Promote the prosperity and success of all entrepreneurs, with particular focus on those experiencing barriers to opportunity, by developing or identifying programs and resources that will impact their businesses positively.
- Create (uniquely or through collaboration) group learning opportunities, workshops, and seminars to convey important more general information to business owners, in Spanish and/or English as needed. Advise on policy and programmatic changes needed to promote success.
- Serve as resource and connector for all entrepreneurs who may encounter particular barriers because of gender, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation or identity, ability, geographic remoteness, previous incarceration, or other issues.
- Develop and maintain a referral partner and business network and work closely with partner organizations to provide seamless support services.
- Grant Program Administration: Provide direct assistance and support to small businesses by administering grant programs with EDASC as contractor for local and state government and other entities.
- Community Activities: Participate in relevant community activities that help expand the reach of EDASC programs and connect with groups working in the same space for increased partnership and collaboration.
- Impact and Reporting: Using EDASC’s customer relations management system, measure and track impact of comprehensive programming and interaction for reports to CEO, Board, Department of Commerce, and community.
Ideally a native speaker level of Spanish fluency, both written and oral, including appropriate business and finance vocabulary, and cultural awareness, competency and sensitivity. A people-person and servant leader with high emotional intelligence and a confirmed record of developing and maintaining cooperative, professional relationships with other employees, management, and outside organizations. To thrive in the position, you must enjoy change, be comfortable with “gray areas,” and seek new challenges. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including writing and editing, in English and Spanish. Ability to articulate complex procedures clearly.
- Strong cultural awareness for working with linguistically and culturally diverse communities, particularly the local Latino community.
- A passion for solving or facilitating the addressing of problems of small business owners, particularly those lacking the traditional advantages.
- Attention to detail, including proofreading, and data entry accuracy.
- Demonstrated high level of ability working with and understanding current technology with an eye to the future including databases, spreadsheets, documents, and a range of web-based applications.
- Comfortable and fluent using social media and communications platforms including Facebook, Linked-in, Instagram, Mailchimp, etc.
- Familiarity with Skagit County, its communities, and industry sectors desirable.
- Serve diverse populations with empathy and respect. Passion around eliminating systemic barriers and working towards social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to communicate and demonstrate the mission of EDASC
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Preference will be given to candidates with education, experience and exceptional people skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations or a related field is highly desirable, as is experience in entrepreneurship either directly or in an advising capacity.
- Experience with entrepreneurship, either directly or in an advising capacity.
- Driver’s license, ability to travel throughout Skagit County to attend meetings, programs and events (including some breakfasts and evenings).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to interact with individuals and groups that require them to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
The employee will be working primarily in the EDASC offices and for a limited amount of time, when safe to do so, may be expected to be “out-and-about” in the community and the employer will have limited control over these environments.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This job description has been approved by all levels of management:
CEO _______________________________________________ Date_____________
HR _______________________________________________ Date_____________
Employee signature below constitutes employee's understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.