EDASC seeking Coordinator of Business Development & Expansion
Friday, March 01, 2019
UPDATE: The job posting is now closed
The coordinator of EDASC’s Business Development & Expansion program is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing business retention, attraction and expansion strategies based on target sectors and a thorough knowledge of best practices related to economic development. Under the supervision of EDASC’s CEO and in coordination with staff and outside organizations, the right candidate’s expertise will include the ability to establish sincere rapport with our team, stakeholders, clients and company officials in order to successfully recognize, develop and cultivate leads through research, local/international business connections and trade groups. No supervisory responsibilities at this time.
- Develop, coordinate and implement business retention, attraction and expansion strategies and leads through research, local and global business connections, and trade groups as well as other methods and sources.
- Serve as primary contact for business development inquiries, especially for business location/relocation searches while consistently projecting a professional image and messaging aimed at a broader audience, promoting EDASC and Skagit County through media (press releases, social media, website and advertising both print and electronic). This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring grant and incentive opportunities, and participating in the preparation and submission of applications.
- Routinely set goals, track and communicate activities to appropriate entities (CEO/staff/board) through the maintenance of a daily log, to include a record of actual outreach as well as a monthly summary of results.
- Maintain a business development tracking system on leads, inquiries, requests and projects for both locations and expansions throughout the full life cycle of proposals and pre-development activities and prepare reports on outcomes.
- Work with existing businesses to surmount obstacles, deal with issues and facilitate growth, e.g., export promotion, finding new markets, resources to support growth, etc.
- Quarterly, in coordination with CEO, prepare and share this report to evaluate level of progress and adjust approach to improve performance and results, documented by a database of economic development information including current businesses, business leads and key contacts
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Working in coordination with CEO and Communication/Community Engagement Specialist, help synchronize EDASC internal and external public relations.
- Attend and participate in internal and external meeting and events, some of which will occur before or after normal business hours.
- Cultivate frequent contact with commercial real estate brokers and business property owners, county, city and town officials, as well as contact with state, regional and federal officials.
- To perform the job successfully, you and your track record should represent the achievement of a doer, a successful technical expert who is a creative self-starter as well as an engaging people person and teammate.
- Strong, comprehensive understanding of economic development fundamentals, particularly related to business attraction and marketing.
- Strong understanding of economic development ecosystem, including familiarity with local, state, and federal level resources.
- Strong capabilities in marketing and for recruitment of businesses and investors.
- Familiarity with Skagit County, its communities, and industry sectors desired.
- Familiarity with local government and state/federal legislative processes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ease and proficiency with public speaking, writing, proofreading and editing, etc.
- Comfortable working in a sometimes fast-paced, unpredictable environment.
- Proficiency with MS Office and design software
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate and work (both collaboratively and independently) with a variety of internal and external stakeholders required.
- The ability to establish sincere rapport, surmount obstacles and put people at ease is essential.
- Bachelor’s degree required, ideally in a related field (e.g., business, urban/regional planning, marketing).
- A Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) and/or a graduate degree preferred.
- Foreign language ability preferred.